Saturday, January 8, 2011

Army Guard UH-72 Lakota at Hunter AAF

Hunter Army Airfield had a brief visit today by a Tennessee National Guard UH-72 Lakota.  So what's the big deal?  Well, an old Cisco co-worker of mine was one of the pilots.  I was sitting here in my HAM shack when a Facebook post from Frank showed up stating that he was at Hunter AAF.  I immediately knew it must be a drill weekend for him and his National Guard unit.  I sent back a post telling him I was monitoring the Hunter Tower and asked him what his call sign was.  He came back with the call sign of Guard 72135.  So I decided I'd take a drive over to Hunter and see if I could catch a glimpse of the helicopter before they departed.  As I got to the end of runway 10, I could see that they were just starting engines.  I parked and tuned the scanner up to the Hunter Ground and Hunter Tower freqs so that I could hear Frank as they got thier clearences and departed to the west on runway 28.  Nice part time job, huh?   Good to "see" you today Frank!

The Tennessee National Guard is one of the first units in the Army to recieve the new UH-72 Lakota. 

No comments: